- BATCH OR GROUP LIKE TASKS
Batch or groups like tasks for maximum efficiency and effectiveness. Different activities engage different parts of the brain and switching back and forth between activities wastes time. A University of Michigan study found that when you “task switch” your brain may take 50% or more additional time to perform each task.
- 2 MINUTES OR LESS, DO IT NOW
It frequently takes more time if you delay instant tasks. If a task can be completed in two minutes or less, just do it.
- JUST SAY NO!
To the things in your personal life that do not bring you joy, peace, and contentment. Remember, every time you say yes, you are saying no to something.
- START YOUR DAY WITH YOUR HIGHEST VALUE TASK
Know where your revenue line is and start your day making or saving money for you or your company.
- IDEAS NEED TIME TO PERCOLATE
Inspiration strikes when your brain is at rest. High-performance procrastinators use another task or project to stimulate their thinking on all of their projects and tasks.
- PROCRASTINATION IDENTIFIES YOUR ENERGY CYCLE
Follow your natural rhythm if you want to be more productive. Remember to take regular breaks to rest and recharge to maintain high energy throughout your day.
- PROCRASTINATION CAN HELP YOU FOCUS
Procrastination can help you focus in the whirlwind. It sheds light on what’s really important and empowers others to solve problems. It clarifies priorities. And sometimes not acting immediately creates the space for others to step up and solve problems.
- FOCUS ON YOUR STRENGTHS AND UNIQUE ABILITIES
Being bogged down in busy work and looking to ‘busyness’ to demonstrate your value does not work. Focus on your strengths and unique abilities and invest time on activities tied to both.
- COLOR CODE YOUR CALENDAR Want to see how you are investing your time? Color code your calendar so you can see your high priority items.
- PRIORITIZE YOUR INCOMING EMAIL MESSAGES USING COLOR
So you can SEE the important emails first. Color code your manager red, your top clients green and messages you were CCed on grey so they fade into the background.
- STOP MANUALLY FILING ALL OF YOUR EMAIL MESSAGES Automate your filing using the rules feature in your email program. Auto file reports, responses to clients and colleagues and any other messages that you must retain.
- STOP THE TIDAL WAVE OF EMAIL BY MANAGING INCOMING MESSAGES
Stop the tidal wave of email by managing incoming messages using the rules feature in your email program. Write a rule for newsletters, store coupons, daily or weekly reports or any other messages that can be read and reviewed at a later date. Your goal is to have an inbox that only has messages in it that require a response by you.